With the rise of online shopping, ecommerce is becoming an increasingly popular way to buy goods from the comfort of your own home. While ecommerce offers many benefits such as convenience and accessibility, it also poses unique challenges such as lost or stolen online orders.
Did you know that over 1.7 million packages are lost or stolen every day in the US alone? Whether due to human error or criminal activity, lost or stolen packages can lead to frustration and financial loss for both ecommerce stores and their customers.
However, there are some precautions you can take to track down misdelivered packages and reduce the risk of theft. So, in this blog, we’ll explore security measures that eCommerce stores can implement to protect their packages and customers.
Importance of package security in eCommerce
In eCommerce, package security is critical to maintaining a positive customer experience and ensuring that eCommerce stores can operate efficiently. When customers place an order, they expect their package to arrive safely and on time.
However, this is not always the case, and packages can be lost or stolen during the delivery process. This can result in a frustrating and time-consuming experience for customers, who may need to wait for a replacement shipment or file a complaint with the eCommerce store. Additionally, lost or stolen packages can be costly for eCommerce stores, as they may need to pay for replacement shipments or refunds.
In order to solve the problem of lost or stolen packages, e-commerce stores must take effective package security measures. By doing so, they can help ensure that their packages arrive safely and on time, and that their customers have a positive shopping experience.
Best Ways Ecommerce Can Handle Lost or Stolen Packages
- Order tracking. Order tracking is an essential aspect for eCommerce stores to prevent lost or stolen packages. By monitoring the progress of each shipment, eCommerce stores can identify potential issues early and take action to resolve them. Order tracking allows eCommerce stores to track each package from the time it leaves the warehouse to the time it is delivered to the customer.
Nowadays, more and more eCommerce businesses are choosing to use order tracking apps. This allows them to identify any potential issues, such as delays or lost packages, and take action to resolve them. For example, if a package is delayed, the eCommerce store can contact the shipping carrier to find out the reason for the delay and take any necessary steps to ensure that the package is delivered to the customer as soon as possible.
By using order tracking app, eCommerce stores can provide their customers with more accurate delivery estimates and improve overall package security.
The great example of Shopify order tracking app is Parcel Trackr. In addition to real-time order tracking, the app also provides the ability to send automated email notifications to customers with the updated order status; create and customize an order tracking page to match your store design, as well as boost your sales by adding product recommendations to the email confirmations and order tracking page.
- Shipping insurance. Shipping insurance is another aspect that eCommerce stores can use to protect themselves and their customers from financial loss. This is a type of insurance that covers the cost of lost or damaged packages during shipping. If a package is lost or damaged during transit, the shipping carrier will reimburse the eCommerce store for the cost of the package, up to the insured value.
Shipping insurance can help eCommerce stores avoid costly replacement shipments and protect their customers from financial loss.
There are several types of shipping insurance available, including carrier-provided insurance and third-party insurance. Carrier-provided insurance is typically provided by the shipping carrier and covers packages up to a certain value. Third-party insurance is offered by third-party insurance providers and covers packages up to a higher value than carrier-provided insurance.
By offering shipping insurance, eCommerce stores can provide their customers with added peace of mind and improve their overall shopping experience.
3. Delivery confirmation. Delivery confirmation is a feature provided by many shipping carriers that allows eCommerce stores to verify that a package has been delivered to its intended recipient. This is typically done by requiring a signature from the recipient upon delivery, which is then recorded and made available to the eCommerce store.
By using delivery confirmation, eCommerce stores can ensure that packages are being delivered to the correct address and person, and reduce the risk of lost or stolen packages.
In addition to signature-based delivery confirmation, some shipping carriers also offer delivery confirmation through other means, such as photographic evidence of delivery or geolocation tracking. These methods can provide additional assurance that a package has been delivered to the correct address and person.
An additional advantage of using delivery confirmation is that it can provide eCommerce stores with extra protection against fraud. For example, if a customer claims that they did not receive their package, the eCommerce store can use the delivery confirmation data to show that the package was delivered to the correct address and person. This can help prevent fraudulent chargebacks and other types of fraud.
4. Customer communication. Regular communication with customers is important for keeping them informed about the status of their package and reducing the risk of lost or stolen packages. By providing customers with tracking information and regular updates on the status of their package, eCommerce stores can ensure that customers know when to expect their package and where it is in the shipping process. This can help prevent missed deliveries and reduce the risk of packages being stolen from porches or other unsecured locations.
Effective customer communication can also help eCommerce stores build stronger relationships with their customers and improve their overall shopping experience. By providing regular updates and responding promptly to customer inquiries, eCommerce stores can show that they care about their customers and are committed to providing a high level of service.
There are several ways that eCommerce stores can communicate with customers about their packages, including email, SMS text messages, and push notifications. Some eCommerce stores also provide self-service tracking tools that allow customers to track their own packages online or through a mobile app. For example, with Trackr, a real-time order tracking app, you can create a custom order tracking page as a part of your store.
One of the important aspects of communicating with customers is to promptly respond to their requests and resolve any problems they may have. By providing timely and helpful responses to customer inquiries, eCommerce stores can show that they value their customers and are committed to providing a high level of service.
5. Replacement shipments. Another way that eCommerce stores can solve the problem of lost or stolen packages is to offer customers replacement packages. This can help increase customer satisfaction and loyalty by showing that the ecommerce store is committed to ensuring that customers receive the products they order.
When offering replacement shipments, eCommerce stores should have clear policies in place that specify the circumstances under which replacements will be offered. For example, an eCommerce store may require that a certain amount of time has passed since the original shipment was sent, or that the customer has filed a report with the shipping carrier or local authorities.
It is also important for eCommerce stores to have systems in place to ensure that replacement shipments are sent promptly and reliably. This may involve using different shipping carriers or delivery methods, or implementing additional security measures to prevent future losses or thefts.
6. Refund policy. Another option for addressing lost or stolen packages is to offer refunds to customers who have not received their packages. This provides a degree of financial protection to customers and reduces the likelihood of fraud and chargebacks.
To avoid customer dissatisfaction, eCommerce stores should have clear and consistent policies regarding the circumstances that warrant refunds.
It is also important to communicate clearly to customers about the refund policy and to respond promptly and professionally to any complaints or refund requests. Resolving customer issues in a timely and efficient manner helps establish customer trust and loyalty
Unfortunately, lost or stolen packages are a common problem for eCommerce stores and can lead to dissatisfied customers and financial losses. However, there are several ways for eCommerce stores to handle lost or stolen packages and protect their customers and business. By implementing the right strategies, eCommerce stores can minimize the impact of package losses and provide a positive and secure shopping experience for their customers.
Use the Trackr app to build trust and loyalty with your customers and reduce the risks of fraud and chargebacks.