As an ecommerce business owner, you already know how important it is for your customers to receive their orders on time and in perfect condition. Shipping accuracy plays an important role in this process and it is very important to get it right.
With modern technology, shippers and customers benefit. Accuracy is improved when such technologies are used to track the location of a shipment and the estimated time of delivery.
In this blog, we'll discuss various ways to improve shipping accuracy for your Shopify store, from selecting the right shipping carrier to implementing proper tools. Whether you're just getting started with your Shopify store or are looking to improve your existing operations, this blog is for you. Let's dive in!
Shipping accuracy and its importance
Shipping accuracy refers to the ability of a business to fulfill orders accurately and efficiently, delivering the right products to the right customer at the right time. This includes ensuring that the correct product is assembled and packaged, that the order is shipped to the correct address, and that it arrives on time.
Shipping accuracy is a critical aspect of ecommerce operations, as it directly affects customer satisfaction and can have a significant impact on a business's bottom line. A high level of shipping accuracy means that customers receive their orders in a timely and satisfactory manner, which can lead to repeat business and positive reviews.
On the other hand, poor shipping accuracy can lead to customer complaints, returns, and lost sales. Ensuring shipping accuracy requires a combination of effective systems, processes, and tools, as well as a dedicated team to implement and monitor them.
With the growth of online shopping, customers expect fast and reliable delivery, and delivery accuracy plays a critical role in meeting these expectations.
Shipping accuracy has many benefits for ecommerce businesses, including:
- Improved customer satisfaction: When orders are delivered accurately and on time, customers are more likely to be satisfied with their purchase, which can lead to repeat business and positive reviews;
- Increase customer loyalty: When customers receive their orders on time and in perfect condition, they are more likely to return to business for future purchases;
- Reduced costs: Shipping accuracy can help reduce the costs associated with returns and refunds. For example, if orders are shipped to the wrong address or contain the wrong product, it can lead to increased costs for the business.
- Better reputation: A business with a reputation for shipping accuracy is more likely to attract new customers, which can help to grow the business.
- Better inventory management: Shipping accuracy can help businesses keep track of inventory levels and ensure that products are moving quickly and efficiently.
Causes of shipping errors
Shipping errors refer to mistakes that occur during the process of fulfilling and delivering an order.
These errors can range from simple errors such as product mislabeling to more serious issues such as shipping the wrong product or shipping to the wrong address. Shipping errors can have a significant impact on customer satisfaction and lead to increased costs for the business. Therefore, it is very important to make every effort to reduce shipping errors.
In order to reduce shipping errors, let's first understand their causes:
- Incorrect address information. One of the most common causes of shipping errors is incorrect address information provided by the customer. This can occur when customers make typos or enter the wrong information during the checkout process.
- Human error. Shipping errors can also occur due to human error during the picking and packing process. This can include mislabeling products, picking the wrong product, or packing the wrong items in an order.
- Ineffective systems. Shipping errors can also occur due to inefficient systems and processes. For example, businesses using manual processes may be more error prone than businesses using automated systems.
- Limited access to the right tools. Shipping errors can occur when the business does not have access to the right tools, such as barcode scanners, order tracking apps, and equipment to accurately pick, pack, and ship products.
- Weather conditions. In some cases, extreme weather conditions can cause shipping errors, such as delays or damages.
How to make your shipping more accurate?
To reduce shipping errors, businesses must invest in the right systems, processes, and tools to ensure that orders are fulfilled accurately and efficiently. Additionally, proper training and clear communication with customers can also help to prevent shipping errors. Let's discuss this in more depth!
- Confirm customer information in advance.
By verifying customer information, businesses can reduce the risk of orders being shipped to the wrong address or delivered to the wrong person. This can be done by implementing verification processes during the checkout process, such as requiring customers to confirm their shipping address and contact details before placing an order. Additionally, businesses can also use address verification software to automatically check and verify customer addresses, which can help to ensure that orders are delivered to the correct location.
2. Use order tracking apps.
Implementing an order tracking app can also be beneficial in ensuring shipping accuracy. This allows both you and your customers to track the orders in real-time, which can help to ensure that orders are delivered on time and to the correct address. According to Sales Force research, 64% of consumers want to be able to interact with companies in real time.
For example, the Trackr order tracking app is a great tool for your Shopify store. The app collects real-time order tracking information from more than 900 carriers from around the world to provide your customers with the best possible experience.
3. Implementing more automated systems.
Implementing automated systems is a crucial step in ensuring shipping accuracy for e-commerce businesses. Automated systems such as barcode scanners, software and equipment can help to reduce human error during the picking and packing process.
For example, the warehouse management system (WMS) is a system that can help businesses to manage inventory, pick and pack orders, and track the movement of goods. It can also be integrated with barcode scanners and other devices to automate the process of picking and packing. This helps to ensure that the correct products are picked and packed for each order, reducing the risk of shipping errors.
By investing in the right systems and tools, businesses can ensure that orders are fulfilled accurately and efficiently, which can lead to improved customer satisfaction and reduced costs.
4. Provide clear instructions.
Providing clear instructions to employees is another important step in ensuring shipping accuracy for e-commerce businesses. Clear instructions can help employees to understand the process of handling and shipping products, which can reduce the risk of errors. This can include instructions on how to pick, pack, and label products, as well as instructions on how to use any automated systems or tools that are in place.
It's also important to provide training for employees on how to handle different types of products, such as fragile or perishable items, to ensure that they are shipped and handled correctly. Additionally, providing clear instructions for handling and shipping products that are subject to specific regulations, such as hazardous materials, can help to ensure compliance and avoid costly mistakes.
5. Offer a wide range of shipping options.
Customers have different shipping needs, some may need faster delivery, some may need cheaper shipping, and some may need delivery to a specific location. By offering a wide range of shipping options, you can meet the needs of a variety of customers, which can help ensure that orders are delivered to the correct address on time.
In addition, offering a wide range of shipping options can also help companies become more competitive and attract more customers. Customers are more likely to choose a company that offers a wide range of shipping options, which can help increase customer satisfaction and increase sales.
Shipping accuracy is a critical aspect of ecommerce operations, and businesses must invest in the right systems, processes, and tools to ensure that orders are fulfilled accurately and efficiently. And with an order tracking app like Trackr, companies can improve delivery accuracy and provide better customer experience.